Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Early Experience

So here we are, at Sun Microsystems.

To be perfectly honest, this product seriously needs a massively (multiplayer, lol, I see what I did there) improved user experience. There are so many errors, exceptions, and problems all over the place. The process is clunky and painful for a user that isn't a ninja with scripts and command line stuff. I hear as a ninja in those things it's pretty simple.

So, what I propose is a java/swing installer application. Essentially, the user would run this program (and since it's written in Java, it'd work on all platforms where Darkstar could potentially run), and it would properly move everything to where it belongs, and set up the environment variables. This installer could include license agreements which have a slim glimmer of a hope of circumventing the legal issues with putting things in the right place to begin with.

More to come when I hear back from Jim.

No comments: